"The Pellet Alternative"
The principle behind sublinguals, or under-the-tongue administration, is fairly simple: when a medication comes in contact with the skin under the tongue, it will dissolve into the saliva glands located under the tongue. The medication quickly enters the blood stream because these saliva glands have their own blood supply.
A Quick List of Advantages of Oral/Sublingual Absorption:
- No needles or procedures to bypass “First Pass” of the hostile environment of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Sublinguals are a highly effective method of dosing. Fast dissolution of medication and absorption which will leads to rapid, onset of action.
- Ideal for those suffering from digestive complaints that can hinder the absorption of nutrients.
- Sublinguals can be taken anywhere and used without water.
- Convenience in administration of drug and accurate dosing as compared to liquid formulations.
- Sublinguals eliminate the need to swallow bulky pills.